In general audio equipment actually uses DC for everything and you'll find that there's a small transformer inside the music system or each component of a larger system.

It should work ok with a stepdown transformer. In general, there's no problem with motors on modern equipment, certainly not with CD players, MD players etc ... although it could happen!

I would strongly advice, however, that you invest in surge protection when you get to India. Buy it in India e.g. in a local computer store.

Also, I would invest in a telephone surge protection device if you plan on using modems, and particularly if you plan on using your laptops built-in modem on the indian phone network.

In modern parts of the major urban areas spikes are no more common than in the USA but in rural areas, small towns and old parts of cities you can get spikes and brownouts.

Bring a US power strip and try to get a transformer with a trailing cord on the 220V side. It doesn't matter if it comes with a European or British plug, you can easily cut that off and fit a local plug in India.

India generally uses the old British 15A plug which was phased out of use in the UK and Ireland. It has 3 very large round pins arranged in a triangle. There is also a 5 amp and 2 amp version which may or may not be in use in India.

I've also seen the modern UK plug with rectangular pins in use in an hotel over there!

So don't bother with adaptors until you get there [Linked Image]

And whatever you do DO NOT buy them in Radioshack! They sell some very scary adaptors!

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-09-2005).]