Just been called upon to examine this one.

The property is located out of town on a country back road, about 3 to 4 acres of land. The land is longer than it is wide, going back a long way from the road, with woods down one side and to the rear.

There is no power on site at present, and the owner (who runs a small log business there) just has a small mobile home on the site with a generator and small wind turbine/inverter setup.

He's going to build a house up near the road, and to run power from that direction would mean new poles and cabling back along the road about 1/4 mile, to where there is already a large (probably 100kVA or more) 3-ph pole-mount xfmr feeding a farm on the other side of the road. Apparently he's been told "Something in the region of £20,000" [Linked Image]

However, just behind the far corner of his land is another house, accessed by a road from a different direction, which has its own pole-mount single-phase xfmr at the end of a single-phase 11kV spur line which comes in from a different direction.

It would mean upgrading the transformer (couldn't see the rating, but clearly small), but it's only about 50 ft. from the corner of his land.

So, if he could build a suitable enclosure for cut-out and meter, and then take over responsibility for getting power from there up to where the house will be, I reckon he should be able to save a substantial amount of money. Cable will be costly for this sort of run obviously, but as he already has mechanical diggers etc. he would be able to provide all the heavy labor himself (hey, you think I'm going to dig a 200 yard trench! [Linked Image] ). As I see it, it's got to come out less than 20 grand!

I've never had a job in this sort of position before, so before we get the engineers out to assess, do you think the PoCo would have any objections?

It would mean the meter being 200 yards back of the road at the bottom of the land, but there are houses with long private drives which would involve a trek from the road just as long, so I can't see why there would be any problem.

Any of you had a similar job and run into any difficulties?