The issue of cost and effectiveness (or lack of) is a big one.

If I seem rather "down" on the idea of the local council becoming involved, it's in no small part due to the fact that my local district council are, to put it mildy, not held in high regard around here. In fact, it's pretty near impossible to find anyone who has a good word to say about them. I could quote many examples, but this would soon turn into an off-topic rant.

The onus is to be on the householder as well as the electrician to notify Building Control.
Well, I always used to believe it was the owner who was responsible, but I think you may have a point. I've seen various references to electricians having to notify building control themselves, but it's hard to get reliable information from many sources. Just look at how many sources (often promoting the approved schemes) are putting out the false information that compliance with BS7671 will become mandatory.

The current Building Regulations (2000) can be seen here:
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm

Part 12 includes the following:
(2) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, a person who intends to carry out building work or to make a material change of use shall -

(a) give to the local authority a building notice in accordance with regulation 13; or

(b) deposit full plans with the local authority in accordance with regulation 14.
So what is a "person who intends to carry out building work" exactly? The person actually, physically doing the work or the person who commissions that work? [Linked Image]

By the way, the S.I. which actually adds Part P to the Building Regs. can be seen here:
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

BUT, it may be reasonable to acknowledge that the vast majority of householders and indeed electrical firms will attempt to stay within the law
Electrical firms maybe. Householders? Not with the attitudes toward the local council around here.

There's quite a lot of renovation work going on around my little settlement at the moment. If it involves major rebuilds, extensions needing planning consent, then yes, people will go through the official channels. If it's all basically internal work, they just keep quiet and get on with it.

In practical terms, part P in these cases will be just another section of the building regs. to be ignored along with all the others.