DJK, many thanks for your considered and detailed reply. It's greatly appreciated.

to quote: "there is no way that you can run both of those appliances together on a single 13A plug!"

Just to add to my earlier post, as I may have not made it clear. We only use one appliance at a time. Using both at the same time "should" overload the lead even as an intermittent load, say the spin cycle on the washer.

The point that is concerning is that the tumble dryer ALONE, on full-heat for a period of, say, a 30 minute cycle, is enough to cause this heating effect. That is, a load of ~10A drawn on the lead for that period.

Unless i am wrong (and i may very well be) the flex used, 1.5mm PVC 3183Y, has a native current carrying capacity of 16A, rated so upto 65*C. So, logically, there should be no "apparent" heating effect due to either intermittent or prolonged overload, for that flex type and CSA. The plug is then fused with a 13A fuse. I accept there are other variables; I just find it rather odd and a little concerning (as does much of the wiring in our house, per my other posts!).

I agree DJK, that good components are always best used. As far as I can recall, the socket is an MK standard socket, the styling is that of say 20 years ago, and the plug is a duraplug "tough plug" and is quite new as I only made the extension a year or so ago. I never use components that don't obviously display the relevant BS no, or kitemark. I will try replacing the plugs on both the extension lead and the dryer, and see if that makes any difference (?)

It has to be said, that I have never really considered the design of our 1363 plugs and sockets. I guess it's all to easy to assume that your national standard is "best" or "safest" as a matter of some nationalistic pride. I have seen some awfully cheap looking plugs and sockets about and do try to stick to the better-known brands. I personally like MK and Crabtree wiring accessories, but that’s another discussion!

To rally up some defence, I think our 1363s have some merits to them also: 1) Shuttered sockets. 2) Incorporated fusing, something that as far as I am aware no other county/national standard plug adopts (Why is that? Are we just being “British” and going that bit further? Is there a story there, anyone know?) 3) Polarisation, as you can only put it in one way [Linked Image]…. there must be more ??

What’s the consensus? Are our 1363s that bad?

Ash (LiveWireUK)

edited for typo

[This message has been edited by LiveWireUK (edited 11-21-2004).]