C-H

That's what I was told by a close friend/almost relative who lives in Anjong-Ri a medium-sized town near Seoul.

Her experience (in two different apartment buildings she's lived in so far) is as follows:

Standard ungrounded sockets in standard domestic situations. These normally look like this (they fit in American boxes):

[Linked Image from iseao.co.kr]

A Schuko plug will fit properly into one of these but it obviously is not grounded.

Some office and commercial buildings may have these types (the holes you see in the middle are the screws that hold the different parts of the socket together):

The grounding contacts are not connected to anything, normally. So a Schuko plug will fit properly but obviously the ground conductor goes nowhere.

Some more knowledgeable users manage to install grounding rods for their house systems and then these sockets are properly grounded.

The person in question managed to install a 110 volt system by installing large step-down transformers. I think these are isolated or something. I definitely know her 110 volt system is grounded.

The typical replacement plug you will find in an electrical shop is one of these:

They're used for almost any domestic replacement situation - even lamps and small radios. Europlugs tend to fit loosely into the Korean sockets, I've found out.

The above is a "contour" plug -- you know the one with the two notches in the round face so that it can bypass the grounding clips in the Schuko sockets.

This is a website of a big electrical items manufacturer over there. Page is also in English if you click the link.
http://www.iseao.co.kr/

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-09-2005).]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-09-2005).]