Yesterday I took a first look at my parent's old French Frimatic refrigerator. It has had a wild life (my aunt bought it from an old lady who had it for 25 years even though she never had electricity, then used it for some time and gave it to my dad) and has been sitting around for about 10 years because it doesn't work any more. I guess it's 1960ies. The problem is this: The compressor simply refuses to start. The light inside is on when the door is open, so I guess power is present (my first guess was the twisted and taped power cord). Turning the temperature dial doesn'T have any effect. As the refrigerator seems to be a very simple model I had only a few ideas what could have happened: no power to the compressor or thermostat broke. If I remember correctly the thing stopped working immediately after we moved it downstairs and had worked intermittently the days before, which could point to loose connections. The bodged cord had severe amounts of corrosion on it, in dry words the copper was almost black over about 10 cm from the repair.
Any tips how to trace the fault? I'd really like to getit back running again because it's a real cool beast (probably one of the first models after the famous rounded 50ies refrigerators, white with an almost barbie pink interior).

BTW, yet another color coding. 2 blacks for hot & neutral and a white ground.