Time to revive this thread.

I think I'll switch to Russian AVVG, an 660V outdoor cable, which has an outer sheat. You don't want the thing to fail and have to dig it up...

The voltage drop keeps bugging me. I talked to a Swedish engineer working in Tanzania. He figured on a 25% voltage drop. (sic!) "The light bulbs give off a rather reddish light" [Linked Image]

If I go for 10%, I would still extend the the maximum distance for a 2.5A service on 2.5 mm2 Al to 400 metres.

Here's my latest idea: Use two wire 460V to the house. If the consumer only needs lighting, two 230V bulbs in series could be used.

If he/she wants to use appliances too, 460-230V autotransformers will be sold by the utility. Reasoning: Someone who has the money for appliances will also have money for a transformer.

The transformer would be similar in appearance and size to the British 230-110V construction site transformers, which seem fairly rugged and inexpensive. This approach offers an inexpensive 1 kW service for distances up to 800 m. Of course, a larger conductor will increase capacity or extend the range. E.g. 6 mm2 extends the range to 2 km.