Guys,
I was doing a job on Thursday afternoon and I was fitting-off a new Submain and switchboard that I had pre-wired some months ago.
I came to liven and test the installation and found that one of the RCD's that I had installed (Hager DIN Rail mount 16A type) wouldn't trip at all when I went to test it with the RCD tester.
I double-checked my wiring and all seemed to be correct, I even swapped the RCD with the one next to it and it tripped on the same wiring.
I then took it back to the wholesaler and got another one connected it up and the same thing, no trip, this really had me scratching my head by now!.
So, back I trotted to the wholesaler and got another one, hooked it up and the same again, although it did trip at 5Amps!.
Long story short, the next one I got DID trip.
But it sort of makes you wonder about the Quality Control at the Hager factory, especially with a device like an RCD, which people depend on for shock protection.
Imagine if I had not bothered to test the darn thing?.
Hope I never have a run of faulty gear like that again, if I was angry, my customer was absolutely livid, as this was not a quoted job!.