for those of you who are legally minded:

A person shall not manufacture, assemble, store, supply, offer to supply or exhibit any—
     (a) socket-outlet including a socket-outlet complying with the provisions of the Industrial Research and Standards Act (Section 44) (Electrical Mains Socket-Outlets) Order, 1973 (S.I. No. 322 of 1973), or
     (b) plug which is intended for insertion into a socket-outlet of a type specified in paragraph (a) of this Regulation, or
(c) adaptor, plug-similar device or any device incorporating a socket-outlet, unless—

(i) such socket-outlet complies with the provisions of I.S. 411:1997 safety requirements for 13 A switched and unswitched socket-outlets, or
(ii) such plug complies with the provisions of I.S./EN 50075, or
(iii) such adaptor complies with the provisions of I.S. 421:1977 safety requirement for Adaptors for 13A Plugs and sockets,
or
(iv) such socket-outlet, plug, plug-similar device or device incorporating a socket-outlet complies with the safety requirements set out in the Second Schedule to these Regulations,
or
(v) such manufacturer, assembler or seller can show that such socket-outlet, plug or plug-similar device complies with the provisions of the standards specified in column (2) of the Table to this Regulation opposite the mention of the socket-outlet, plug and plug-similar device in column (1) of the said Table.
(the table)
  As specified in sub-clause 4.1 of Irish Standard 180:1973
British Standard 546:1950 including Supplement No. 1 and amendments 1953, 1961, 1969, 1977, 1982, 1987 and 1989.

As specified in sub-clause 4.3 of Irish Standard 180:1973  
CEE Publication 7:1963 (Standard Sheets IV and VII) and modifications 1972, 1973, 1974 and 1981.

Plug Similar Device.

Relevant clauses in I.S. 401:1997, I.S. 411:1997, I.S. 421:1997 or BS 5733:1995 and in the standards indicated above which correspond with its plug-similarity.

EXCLUDED ELECTRICAL DEVICES

1. Any plug, socket or adaptor which incorporates any other electrical device (other than a fuse link, switch or indicator light).
2. Any plug or socket forming part of a ceiling-rose connector (that is to say a connector designed to hold up over-head electric lighting fittings).
3. Any plug or socket forming part of a luminaire comprising a track system for electric lights and their fittings.
4. Any non-I.S. 401:1997 plug supplied loose which is manufactured to comply with the safety provisions of IEC 884-1 and which is marked with or accompanied by a warning that it is not suitable for connections to a mains socket in the State or the United Kingdom.
5. Any non-rewirable or any moulded-on Europlug (that is to say any plug conforming with IS EN 50075) which is designed for the purpose of connecting to a shaver supply unit conforming to IS/EN 60742:1990, Isolating Transformers and Safety Isolating Transformers Requirements.
6. Any travel adaptor (that is to say any adaptor which enables a plug designed for use in the State or the United Kingdom to be connected to a socket used outside the State and the United Kingdom).

for the whole peice of legislation (about 2 pages A4, quite easy to read) http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI526Y1997.html

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 08-26-2003).]