Anyway that’s my 2d worth – which by my reckoning is worth 1.2p!
2d is actually 0.8333p.

Another difference I have observed is the depreciated use of the yard and long (2240lbs) ton.
I've noticed that too. American signs are far more likely to say "Men working 300 feet ahead" whereas in Britain it would be "Road works, 100 yards."

The long ton is the British/Commonwealth standard by the way. The standard U.S. measurement is the short ton of 2000 lb., although straight pounds does seem to be more common in many fields. My Nebraska driver's license specified "vehicles up to 24,000 lb."

The situation also works in reverse, where the law prohibits pub owners from selling a litre of beer or from someone who may wish to erect a road sign giving distances in metric units. Both are still illegal under the WMA.
You seem to be well-read on what's going on in Britain, so I assume you're referring to the case a while back where an immigrant set up an Italian or Austrian-themed bar (I forget which) and sold beer in liters and half-liters.

He soon fell foul of the Trading Standards bullies, which led to the ridiculous situation of other traders being prosecuted for refusing to use metric while this guy was being threatened with court because he was using metric! [Linked Image]

The whole shambles would be laughable if it were not costing decent people their livelihoods.

MOre on the Road Signs situation here .

How many people who use FFU (Fred Flintstone units - a common name for all non-SI units), are really aware that a unit can have multiple meanings?
Probably about the same number as those who know how many c.c.'s in a liter. That's down to education.

Call them Fred Flintstone Units if you wish. They got us to the moon and back.