the triangle with what looks like a man holding a really heavy umbrella
Excellent description! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from highwaycode.gov.uk]

I much prefer the American-style yellow diamond warning signs. It seems to me that they're much more visible. (In fact I find that American road signs in general are much more logical and consistent than Britain/Europe.) Any idea how the yellow diamonds came to be used in Ireland, and since when?

(More British signs and general road rules can be seen here for anyone who's interested in this sort of thing.)

The flashing green in Austria sounds very curious -- Never heard of that one. I've seen flashing amber arrows in some French towns, and some even have an adjacent flashing pedestrian crossing sign as an extra warning to yield to pedestrians when turning.

I'm not sure what bulbs are used here, but don't many U.S. municipalities use 130V bulbs in traffic lights for longer life?

We've started getting LED-based lights in Britain in some places. I've seen a few of them on my travels, and they're really quite noticeable for the way they "snap" instantly from one light to another without the usual warm-up/cool-down of an incandescent lamp.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-09-2003).]