Hi Ray, and welcome to ECN:

I've seen some truly horrendous wiring in Spain, but it's usually down to bodged DIY or couldn't-care-less "professional" work rather than any shortcomings in the wiring arrangements used there.

As our Swedish friend has mentioned, the ring circuit is a peculiarly British system for domestic use which you won't find used in Continental Europe. We've had many discussions in here in the past on the pros and cons of the ring, but suffice it to say that the radial circuits used throughout the rest of thr world are perfectly acceptable so long as the correct size cables, fuses, etc. are used.

Fixed wiring colors in Spain should now follow the common European standard: Line = brown or black; neutral = blue; earth = green/yellow (i.e. the same as flexible cords in the U.K.). Most of Europe adopted the new colors somewhere in the early 1970s, but when Spain changed and what they used previously, I don't know.

One word of caution: Many parts of Europe use 3-phase supplies in residential services, which means that you have 380 volts floating around!