Just picked up this meter from eBay for the princely sum of £5! An interesting item to add to my collection of older test equipment:
[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

It's a typical general-purpose meter with AC/DC voltage ranges from 2.5 to 1000V, DC current 100uA to 1A, plus resistance ranges. The rotary switch selects AC/DC/Res., but all range selection is by way of plugging into the appropriate jacks.

Nothing unusual so far, but this meter is obviously of Eastern-Block origin by the Cyrillic letters on the meter movement and in the accompanying paperwork. The latter indicates that the meter meets the standards of GOST (that's transposed into English letters) and the certificate shows an official looking stamp bearing the date 3/71. This meter was presumably made for export, as the certificate and the instructions on the back of the meter are in English (the latter giving ample evidence that English was obviously not the writer's first language!).

Does anyone know in which country GOST would have applied? I'm guessing this came from the USSR, but it could have been some other nearby country.

There's no other manufacturer's name I can see, although the model number TS-437 appears. (Again, that's the single Russian character which translates into English as TS). The steel carry case has a rubber ring around the edge to seal the meter when closed, and overall it looks as though this device would have cost quite a few roubles (or whatever other currency) when new.

One last peculiarity: It still has the original probe leads, which are white and black instead of the more usual red and black that we're used to in the West.