C-H said:

<<What's wrong with having the lampholder dangling from the cord? That's the way the're intended to be used, isn't it? (Provided that you tighten the strain relief properly etc.)>>

Correct!! [Linked Image]

I was writing from USA point of view. The usual lampholders we have here are really more designed for screwing into a threaded post (like on a table lamp or fixture).

Here is an example of your typical lampholder in a cardboard-lined aluminium shell. I hate these. The effects of heat and time eventually deteriorate the cardboard liner and you can either get shocked or have a short-circuit if the metal terminals or the screw shell of the interior module touch the exterior husk.

[img]http://images.lowes.com/product/032664/032664287503.jpg?rgn=0,0,1,1&wid=450&hei=450&cvt=jpeg[/img]

This particular one is known as a turn-knob (you turn that little knob to turn the light ond and off). You see the little nipple on the top cap with the set-screw?

That thing has threads on the inside so it can screw onto a threaded pipe or stem through which the lamp's cord is passed through.

Here is a picture of the interior module (which you can buy separately in various lighting supply stores):
[Linked Image from mcicorp.com]

The metal (usually aluminium) screw shell is supposed to be neutral and the center contact tab (not visible) is live. However this is irrelevant when dealing with unpolarized lamp plugs.

This next one is the phenolic, or Bakelite, version, (which I prefer and seems) to handle heat much better over time - up to a point, since you don't have the paper insulator to worry about. However if you do use a 100-watt bulb in base-up use, the SWITCH will eventually deteriorate and jam, so anyway, you lose. The interior is interchangable with the metal-cased variety.

[img]http://images.lowes.com/product/039008/039008773470.jpg?rgn=0,0,1,1&wid=450&hei=450&cvt=jpeg[/img]

Of course, you have also have IKEA selling these drop cords with the phenolic lamp-holders with strain reliefs on the cord and a regular plug on the other end - I guess for making your own hanging lamps. Too bad it's a standard American plug and not a Europlug...hehehe [Linked Image].

They are kind of like a long extension cord with a socket instead of a two-pin receptacle if you can picture this.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-22-2002).]