Hutch,

Re Brother-in-law's immersion heater.
UK domestic immersion heaters do not normally exceed 3Kw @ 240V (12.5A).
It is considered bad practice to use a 13A socket or connection unit for the final connection to an imm. as it may overheat due to the high continuous load & ambient temp. in the airing cupboard.
I have seen the 15A plug & socket used as the final connection to imm. htrs. in many homes built in the 60's & 70's.
I should point out that it is only installed as a local isolator for anyone working at the imm. or hot water cylinder. A control switch (20A DP & neon labelled water heater) is installed in a convenient position, usually the kitchen for normal control of the imm. by the householder. This is another minor difference in practice from England, where I understand (correct me if I'm wrong Paul) they do not install a control switch in the kitchen.
Nowadays we use a 20A DP switch as the final connection for imm htrs, with a control switch in the kitchen.
Hope this answers the question.

Paul,
Yes these are large houses with a 3 wire service.
I am told that in the days of DC the voltage was around 120V, but I really don't know much about it. I think conversion to 240/415V AC was around 60 years ago.

[This message has been edited by David UK (edited 11-03-2002).]