From Pauluk:
If we could get dedicated circuits for major appliances -- as you say, the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc. -- then a few 15/16A or 20A radial circuits would be ample for the rest of the house. It might be a good idea to specify one or more such circuits specifically for general-purpose outlets in the kitchen area, as does the American NEC.

The kitchen has indeed become the biggest power consumer in the past decades. A dedicated circuit is definitely a must.

As for lighting, I think most of you in Continental Europe combine lights and receptacles on the same 15 or 16A branches, don't you?

Yes. In fact in my flat the wiring is centered at the ceiling lights. Above each lamp is a 6A socket.The (large) box behind it is used as a junction box for the wires coming from wall sockets and switches. This makes it easy to knock down walls. It was also easy to move a switch from one end of the flat to the other. I simply ran a cable (surface mounted) to the nearest socket and an extra wire in the existing conduit up to the lamp.

When I described this arrangement to a Brit he told me it would have violated just about every rule in the UK regs...

From ChrisO:
I tried using single way RCBO's (with the neutral piggy back wire) and apart from the high price had little success with them actually working.

Interesting. What was the problem with the RCBO? (I take it to be a RCBO with solid neutral.)

From Trumpy:
A "normal" set-up, in NZ would be:
10A lighting circuits
16-20A socket outlet circuits, depending on length of run and final loading.
25A Air Con circuits
32A Range circuit, this can also be split
with 2x 4mm2 for a seperate hob and wall-oven, these are protected by two 25A MCB's.

Thanks Trumpy!

The layout you describe sounds very much like what I was proposing. Unlike you we don't have ACs, but often electrical heating. [Linked Image] Do you use European style DIN MCB:s? If so, what type is used for the above circuits?

Why the arbitary figure of 4% v.drop?, we use a figure of 5% @ 230V and a figure of 10%
@ 400V.

It wasn't entirely arbitrary: Some countries specify a voltage drop as low as 3% and some 5% or more. I thought 4% would be reasonable, but 5% could be a better choice.