SvenNYC:

A Verizon tech told me that the 90VAC was raised (this was about a year ago) to over 100VAC. He also told me that they were going to be removing a whole lot of fiber (fibre?) optics because so many people can't get DSL. (I must be right on the border...just down the street a neighbor was told his line could not qualify...)

Another voltage number to throw at you is for the coin phones. (Here, I refer to the good old-fashioned "telephone company" phones, not the private ones that pop up on every corner. The collection method may have changed with the more modern switching equipment--I am not certain.) They were set up so that the coin(s) were held until the disposition of the call was determined. If the call was completed, there were 70VDC sent across the line via a 3rd wire. If the call was not completed, again, 70VDC came over the 3rd wire. Depending on the polarity, the coin would drop into the collection box or down the "coin return" chute.

The privately-owned coin phones are not set up this way. (Thus the muted mouthpiece until the call connects...)