The "must have a modern plug" rule here can be gotten around by selling equipment as "collectors' items, not for use" or some such phrase. The way that some of the auction places do it now is to cut off the old cord close to the apparatus so that it would be impractical to fit a plug and just use it. That really annoys me, because their stupid rules mean that sometimes perfectly good old equipment is vanadalized by the auction-house prior to sale.

Those who advocate replacing the cord with a modern one at all costs say that such a minor thing is of no consequence, but believe me, some collectors want to go to extraordinary lengths to maintain the originality of a rare item in good condition. As an example, where an old paper capacitor needs to be replaced, rather than just fit a modern polyester equivalent directly they will have the wax melted and internal contents removed from the old tubular sleeve and a modern unit installed within it, so that when refitted to the set it still looks like the original.

On the Eltz radio, I'm afraid I can't help there, as I've never heard of that make. I've tried a quick search, but can't locate any details on this one.

Do you know when FM broadcasts started in Austria exactly? I believe the first regular FM broadcast stations in the U.S. opened around 1941. In Britain, the BBC opened the first ones in 1955.