Pardon me while I attempt to "tie" the two "threads" back together again...

'66,

I don't know as I agree with 'Cranking them' though as I think the internal spring can get deformed somehow and possibly have some negative effects. (I agree they should be tight, but I'm not sure how tight you mean) Do the instructions have a torque recommendation? I always thought the tools that were made for this were to make it easier on the fingers and not so they could be tightened more. Anybody know?

Bill

You make valid points... I've examined the very WireNuts I used for the demonstration and found no visible damage to the springs... They both looked new...

Ideal Wire Nuts have a square cross-sectional-shaped spring (for better grab) and is imbedded in the housing for maximum support. I'd say one would split the side at the same moment the spring deformed.

B-Caps an the other hand are loose and floppy and never seem to get tight no matter how many times I twist them... I've pulled springs completely out of 'em before...Cheap.

My technique also only takes about 20 to 30 seconds, where pretwisting adds about 20 to 30 seconds to the procedure. Assuming the outcome is equal... it is twice as fast.

Right now I have no WireNut boxes (you know, they may no longer say "no pre-twisting required" but they did at one time...) Mine usually go straight into the "tackle box"...
The wrench is being used within the guidelines given by the manufacture of the tool and the WireNuts... I can't find a copy of it either...

Tom, you got any help here? [Linked Image]

Oh, and as far as me saying to crank them until they almost break, etc.

I tend to "exaggerate for clarity" which is sometimes neccesary in this sensationalized world... In telling someone to "Crank it until your wrist hurts" I hope to at least get half of that torque out of it!

Tell them "finger tight" and they'll just be barely snug...

One man's "snug" is another man's "tight"...
(And probably "loose" in my opinion)

Having actual torque specs would be nice... No luck in my googol of google searches... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-28-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI