I'm on it Ken, about 10 months. Love it! Sound quality is improving all the time. We also make a lot of long distance calls to Blighty, and an analysis of costs savings from our old utility bills show savings about the cost of broadband, 25 Euro [ £16 ] a month. Nice to chat away without worriting about the money. You need Windows XS now I think. I'm with Alice/tiscali, BTW, excellent provider, no hassle at all! I have a headset, a Logitec, [Amazon on line], a lot cheaper than Curries. One son has a mike/speaker set up, and that causes a lot of echo/feedback problems. Another has a skype "phone", v. good quality sound. Dial up is also possible, you buy credits with your card online, and dial with the mouse on a screen pad. At an astonishing 1.7p a minute anywhere in the world- landline calls, [mobiles are extra]. Make sure you get the lowest line rental charge from BT if you use Skype a lot, cancelling all the frills like Fiends and Family, which you won't need any more.
Recommended, but keep a std. phone for emergency 999 use, of course.

Alan

PS. If you fancy a chat once you get up and running, you can find me via my e-mail address in the profile [?] box. Skype tells you when contacts are on line, BTW.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 02-02-2007).]

Wood work but can't!