I do a lot of W/98 installs on junk boards I get on Ebay or just find in the trash. (Sorry Bill, I am one of those "one disk" families)
From my experience it is best to just skip all of the driver loads on the install and use the setup from the install disk to load the drivers after you see the desktop.
In some cases I have to just assemble drivers from wherever I can find them, based on the chips on the board. It still seems to work best to do it after windoze loads. Once you do get everything working you can go back, remove all the hardware from the system page and do a "slip" install of windoze again. It will use the existing driver database and should just cruise on through. I only do that when I have loaded a lot of bad drivers to get to the sweet spot where I found the right one. It is also a good idea to do a backup of your C drive as soon as you get everything loaded and working so you have a good check point to return to if you want to start over.
I try not to clutter up the C drive with my working directories, music, documents and other non-system files, so it stays pretty stable.

Greg Fretwell