I think the future for desktop computing will get better now that NOVELL, IBM and a number of other software consortiums are LINUX oiented.
http://www.itworld.ca/V.aspx?i=26aa478ca9a846fdbe8a248b98726138&s=44633

NOVELL has acquired a company that is has an extensive presence in Europe (??). IBM and pothers are funding legal defence for the upcoming copywrite court battle re:LINUX

Any how, Microsoft has announced they are going to support WIN98 and WIN98SE for another 2 or more years. This in thanks to the user community that went orbital when Redmont said "....thats it for WIN 95/98/SE support as of early 2004." (Power to the people, eh Billy?)

My take is that the best OS/GUI is one that doesn't have to be tweeked all the time and
the catastorhic failure rate is zero.

A user of a desktop should be able to concentrate on the project at hand. The OS should be "invisible". If I am running LOTUS or ACAD or WORD I am most productive at the end-user position. Too much emphases is placed on WINDOWS and not enough on the reason one buys a computer. To COMPUTE. Not play with the GUI. That's why large organisations provide IT staff to look after the computer software/applications so staff can do what they have been hired to do....provide results and output.

Holey Cow did I say that????

Doug....et al

[This message has been edited by DGT (edited 01-15-2004).]