What a clown I am!!! [Linked Image]

Just dusted off the old books plus IBM stuff and just like you guys said, the XT had only 8 bit ISA bus! [my short term memory is bad enough, now the long term is crashing too?!!]

For some darn reason I was thinking the XT's 8088 ran the 16 bit ISA with twice as many clock ticks - pushing the complete word through the internal 16 bit registers by breaking the word into two Bytes, which ran serial thru the 8 bit external registers.

Don't know where I came up with this one, or even why!!! Man, talk about latency! there would be about 4 times as many wait states from that one, even with instruction prefetch queue [pipeline]!!!

As everyone mentioned, the 80286 was a 16/16 CPU [16 bit inside, 16 bit outside], which allowed for 16 bit bus usage.

What a dope! Need to go back to "Old School" or go over the Triassic Period Books more often!

Sorry about the "Flinging O' Poo-Poo Info" [Linked Image]

Bjarney, I remember that Word Processor - Wordstar! We had Wordstar Gold for DOS [like version 1.xx or something]. Now that was as far from WYSIWYG or "User Friendly" that an App' could ever be!
Yes, it does look like HTML tagging big time!

Had this, along with a variety of old DOS App's, which ran absolutely flawlessly on my 386 machine [80386 sx 16 mhz - the classic "Affordable 386" CPU; 32 bit inside, 16 bit outside, or simply 32/16].

My all time favorite Utilities were X Tree [mentioned earlier], Norton Utility for DOS [got that around 1994], Copy QM for copying floppy disks, Autosketch for DOS, and a DOS based shell type "Menu" App' for running different programs with a mouse click, instead of typing stuff at the Command Prompt. Got it for free and it was really cool.

Old Windows [3.0 and 3.1] ran really slow on that machine! Too much disk cache going on! [only 4 MB of 100 ns DRAM!]. Never tried old Windows on the 286 [standard mode sucks!].
Windows 3.1 and 3.11 for workgroups ran with very few GPFs / IPFs on the 386 in "386 enhanced mode". Large App's took days to execute, Print Jobs took even longer! [one reason was my legacy HP laser printer had only a serial interface, the other was my Epson MX-80 printed only in one direction and retraced each line when Windows drove it].

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!