Deang

I stumbled onto this site while researching the use of motor run capacitors in loudspeaker filters (crossovers). Yeah, I'm a long way from home.

I guess my question would be this: Is the harmonic information found in audio signals, and passing through a filter comprised of motor run capacitors -- harmful to these capacitors?

I would just like to add that the cap is just a cap when you think about it starting a motor. It has alot more going for it (or against it) that we need to think about if we use it in another application. That cap has equiv. series resistance and inductance that lump in with its more dominant capacitance. They might not come into play within the design tolerances of your network. There will be a frequency though, where that cap will be a tuned cicuit, with its own L & C, and Q factor determined by its own series resistance. This point is likely above the audio band.
Temperature stability might even be an issue with automotive applications. You wouldn't want your midrange center f or 3dB badwidth shifting on you from winter to summer would you?
I'm not saying that these things would definately cause problems, just that I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 12-04-2005).]