OK. First off, I should say that I prefer MC (or BX) cable. Also, I live in New York City, where BX and MC are apparently required by code (from all the new construction I've seen going on that sports it).

Are there any advantages (besides price and ease of working) of Romex over metal clad cables?

I wonder why NYC is insistent on metal clad.

Probably because we have a large rodent population and there's always the possibility of these critters chewing through Romex insulation.

At least that's my argument for preferring MC -- rats aren't as likely to chew through what is, in essence, a metal pipe. Not to mention that it's probably less prone to damage as you're fishing it behind a lath and plaster wall and god only knows what else hides back there...

A friend of mine in Jersey City, NJ bought a 1950s house and rewired some 15-amp circuits with AWG 12-gauge Romex (AWG 14 being the norm for 15 amp, I understand). The existing wiring was all BX.

He liked the Romex because it was easier to fish through walls (and cheaper, of course)...although I do imagine that Jersey City has the same problems with rodents that NYC has.

P.S.: Is it good practice to "over engineer" a 15 amp circuit by wiring it with 12 gauge instead of 14 gauge?

I should state that I am not a licenced professional electrician, but am interested in how wiring gets done (and like to stick by code).

Thanks

Sven