I'm an Appliance repair guy with a Journeyman License in Residential work. I haven't done Electrical in many years, so I hope I'm still qualified to post a query here. I need help!

I have a customer who owns an electronically controlled washer. It's giving her intermittent problems (SOMETIMES it'll simply shut down on final spin... she'll wait 20 minutes and fire it right back up) which I'm unable to duplicate at the scene.

The machine is a Whirlpool built Kenmore. I recall during a Tech class I attended at Whirlpool, the Instructor mentioned a similar problem with their Elec. Control Ovens. The problem couldn't be duplicated during the day... it turned out to be the Fluorescent lighting in their kitchen dirupting the ERC while she cooked at night. He didn't say what the fix was.

If this is the same problem, how would I know and what is the fix? Is there a filter to install or should I ask her to do laundry in the dark?

I also seem to recall that there is a test that can be performed on a Home's wiring that will identify LC and its' effects on nearby circuits.

Please help.