In a thread on proofreading, sparky66wv wrote:
>So you're telling me that when you hook 240V up to an oscilloscope that you will see two
>independent sine waves 180 degrees apart,
Correct.

>or will it look just like a 120V sine wave with twice the amplitude?
No.
>>It's not like one is +120 V and the other -120 V.
>Precisely...that would be 180 degrees out of phase and produce 0 volts.
You are a funny guy!

Of course they cancel when combined! That's why nothing flows on the neutral.

But the potential between them before they are combined is 240 V RMS.

>Got to admit you have something there with the 6 and 9 phase thing, although lag was
>mentioned to be more of a factor there.
Okay.

> Waves 180 degrees apart will cancel each other out assuming everything else is equal.
Yes! And this is why 240 V works so well!

They do cancel... but after going through the load and having their energy extracted.

> Please do not attempt to change the laws of physics to support your arguments.
No, I won't.

The thing is, you have supported my argument without realizing it yet.

You already are quite aware that the two poles of 240 V do cancel and no neutral is needed. And when 240 V is used asymmetrically, only the imbalnce flows on the neutral.

You KNOW this already.
You ALREADY know this.

>Thank you.
YOU are welcome.

> BTW, if you had been as observant as you think you are being, you would have noticed that my post explaining 120/240V systems was cut and pasted from another post. Pardon me for not editing out anything redundant.

It's not that it was redundant, it was overkill for a horse book.

> Oh yes, and I've learned that it is better to let people think you're dumber than you really are rather than the other way around.
Then why are you thinking that I am dumber than I really am??

> Oh yes, and if I had failed to mention the "natural grey" part, you seem like the type that
> would have jumped all over that too.
For a horse book? No way!!!

I think natural grey is being deleted from the NEC. I won't miss it in the least.