Steve [Sparky],

These Transformer cores which I have shot pics of, are all sitting on pallets and not in enclosures. There's maybe 100+ cores total in this Warehouse. They will be used with UPS equipment.

The Warehouse they are in right now is the [now former] West Coast Distribution Centers for North American Phillips Co.[NAPC], Norelco, Phillips Lighting Division and Advance Transformer, Co.
They are leaving this building this month and moving elsewhere. We have done lots of TI work for these companies at this location and a few others.
They took on some temp. storage deals with numerous contractors, which is why the real neat UPS equipment was stored there.

These are Isolated Transformers, but not Isolation Transformers.
By this I mean that the Primary and Secondaries are Isolated [not electrically connected], but they aren't the typical Isolation Transformer, because they have high voltage Primaries with lower voltage Secondaries.
I'll draw some schematics for these cores and post them in the threads.
There's all kinds of cool cores around this place!!
I'm not sure which books you would have, which would show these types of cores, as they are not of the "Norm". Maybe would be more likely found in Advanced Transformer Connections type books, or more likely in something related to high-end DC Conversion manuals [high power UPS systems would be a good source].
I have them in my Engineering Manuals, but I don't suggest these books to anyone with a social life!! [Linked Image]
If you want to take that route, try either:
* Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers,
or
* Practical Transformer Design Handbook.

Dspark,

The Manufacturer, along with my Engineering manuals quote them as "6 Phase" or "9 Phase" transformers.
In reality, they are simply Delta / Wye Secondaries for the 6 Phase ones, or Delta / Wye / Wye for the 9 Phase ones.
If the coil winds as opposed to the core flux flow creates a lag / lead in phase time bewteen the different secondaries, then they could be 6 or 9 phase output.
They barely slip by the terms properly by the fact that there's either 2 or 3 separate 3 phase 3 wire secondaries, which are completely separate from each other.
Even then, I find the term to be kind of mistaken too!! Good Call!!

A 6 phase motor will have 2 Delta or 2 Wye wound Stator coils, which are to be connected to two separate 3 phase 3 wire sources. The intent is to have a high frequency equivalent running the motor.
Same thing for the Rectifiers which these multi phase transformers will be connected to.

As for 1 phase, there's absolutely no way to say it would be a 2 phase system.

First off, 2 phase requires two independent phasors, which are 90 degrees out of time [like 3 phase has phasors which are 120 degrees out of time]. The Degree Angle multiplier for Vectors and other calcs = 1.414 [square root of 2], similar to the 3 phase multiplier of 1.732 [square root of 3].

Secondly, the 2 phase system has two separate 2 wire phase outputs, unless it's for the 3 wire system - then one common is made up from "Line 2" from "Phase A" and "Line 1" from "Phase B".
2 Phase systems are normally created from 3 phase 3 wire open Delta "Tee" banks, using Transformers which the Primary and Secondary coils have 87% taps.

Lastly, 2 Phase systems are so antiquated, they only exist in very old sectors of cities like Chicago and Long Beach, CA. [I have seen only one 2 phase 4 wire system in Long Beach].

I could easily make the asumption regarding 6 / 9 Phase systems, rather than even thinking about stating a 1 phase system could be 2 phase. If the windings were done in such a matter to lead / lag one another, then it's going to put out 6 / 9 phase AC from 2 / 3 separate 3 wire secondaries.

Like I said, I'll draw up some schematics in AutoCAD and post them to the threads to describe these cool cores!
If you guys want, I'll draw a couple for 2 phase systems and post them.
I plan to include a bunch of schematics in my website when I get it going, so there's always that approach! Those schematics will cover Xformer connections in great detail, along with Buck/Boost/Choke Transformer connections, Autotransformers, Multi-Secondary 1 phase Transformers, Ballasts [Reactors, etc.], how to determine relative polarity, etc. and - of course - these special use/type Transformers [along with larger and more detailed pics].

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!