Ever get a call like this?

Me: Hello, Blah Blah Electric! [Linked Image]

Potential Customer: How much would you charge to hang a ceiling fan in my bedroom? We have a little globe light over the bed now. I bought a fan at home depot for $50.00 and a thingy to go across the ceiling. The guy at Home Depot said "I have everything I need"

Me: Is there attic space above the bedroom area, has anyone been up over the ceiling above the bedroom? How old is the house?

Potential Customer: The house is about 10 years old. Yes, we have plenty of storage up there.

Me: Will the stuff being stored be there when I come and do the work?

Potential Customer: Yes you can just push the boxes out of the way.

Me: Well just by what you told me your probably looking at anywhere between $300.00 to $500.00 But I would be more than happy to come out and take a look and give you an exact price.

(Did I mention that we happen to be in our warmest time of the year here in the northwest)?

Potential Customer: Just to hang a ceiling fan!!!! But all you have to do is take the light down and put the fan up. I have everything you need!

Me: Is the fan assembled?

Potential Customer: NO! Why would that matter?

Me: Well it takes time to put it together and I’ll have to go in the attic and remove the old box and install a new one.

Potential Customer: So, I'll have to by more parts? "The guy at Home Depot said I have everything I need"

Me: It's possible that bar you bought to go across the ceiling may be all I'll need and it may not take more than an hour and a half. I can charge by the hour if you like.

Potential Customer: How much by the hour?

Me: $75.00 for the first 30 Minutes and 75.00 for each hour after the first 30 minutes.

Potential Customer: That's way out of my price range!

Me: I'm Sorry, if I can be of any help to you let me know.

Potential Customer: Silence..... Hangs up!

I wish the guys at Home Depot would start installing what they sell since it's obvious they're the experts! [Linked Image]

I don't think I am that expensive, as a matter of fact I was told today that I was reasonable. How do you handle those kinds of calls?

Wirewiz