Off topic a bit, but you mean to tell me the secretary assumed the fire alarm was false and did not even check to see what was going on or at least get someone to investigate??!! Wow thats not too swift! I mean in that case, the fire alarm is going off, and the lights HAD to have been flickering with what was going on in the panel, something would tell you there is a problem right off the bat would it not,ESPECIALLY if someone looked at the fire alarm annunciator panel and saw an alarm originating in the electrical room.

As for that "6-disconnect" rule, that does not apply here in Canada, I think any building with more than one circuit requires a main disconnect. I could be wrong but thats how I understand it.

I also agree that that 6-disconnect" rule using MLO panels should be outlawed as from what I see, is unsafe. All that damage would not have happened and the panel would probably still be serviceable with some work if it were protected by a set of fuses or a breaker upstream.
IMHO I never really liked the idea of unfused service conductors inside a building PERIOD. If I am doing a service(resi) I try as best I can to enter the building and end up right in the back of the main disconnect whenever possible.

A.D