I work in the 'Waltham Engineering Center', the old 'Waltham Watch Factory' building on the Charles River in Waltham, MA.

This is a fairly old northeast mill building that has been parted up into individual rentals. There are at least 4 transformers feeding the building, with any number of separate 'services'.

Several of the transformers are ground level devices. The one that feeds my lab is at ground level in a fenced in area. The primary is fed from a pole right in the fence area.

The secondary side goes to a set of 4 cables mounted on cross bars on insulators, as if on top of distribution poles, but instead at about 6-8 feet high in the fenced area. There are some 15 sets of conductors all tapped onto these cables, each going to its own weather head into some box or conduit.

Secondary is 120/208 wye; I forget the primary voltage. I believe the transformer is 180 KVA.

There is also a separate transformer mounted on a pole, with a service drop to the building. This is for the elevator, and is a relatively modern addition (last 5 years or so). I don't have any specifics, however I was told that it was 480V service. The interesting thing to me is that only 3 conductors enter the weather head, none tied to the messenger. This makes me think that the service is ungrounded, which I'd thought was not in vogue (still legal, but I thought that some sort of impedance grounding was preferable.)

-Jon