The customer requested to 86 the panel in the bathroom,& get rid of the multibreaker setup (Along with taking care of some of the easier stuff in the pics)

Wellll, suprise! suprise!.. Installed the new service & reran 3 circuits to the bathroom subpanel & rendered it into a J-box... Beings that the house was running on 1 phase for God know's how long, the homeowner never noticed that 2 circuits were looped together! That is, until now we wired them to separate phases & the backfeed causes a 240V short..

Needless to say, this isn't a good situation so I proposed to find a location to split things apart... The only tie-together I could find was in a severely overpacked 4/O box in the same bathroom that had the panel (cloth wiring in this thing has had it!.. I capped off one of the wires & put everything back....
Now the kitchen light doesn't work... I open it, another jammed pack box full of deteriorated cloth wire, some romex & a couple later added flexes.. I redo a couple loose, taped up connections & now I have a situation where if I connect a neutral going to the bedroom lights, their refrigerator shuts down, If I leave it open, the fridge comes back, but I have no bed/other bathroom lights!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I've already thrown the rewire angle at them & they don't seem to have the money for it.. (They NEED it drastically!) but how far do I have to go into this place now! I can't walk away from an unsafe situation like this, if not just for liability since my hands have been in everything, but my own conscience if something bad were to happen! All I did was cap off a wire that was backfed from another circuit & redo some old "soldered at one time, now crusty & dangerous" connections!
AAARRRRGGGHH!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
If this house had NEVER been screwed with & still had the original 20's wiring complete & intact, I would've figured this out easy.. But John Q HACK has to think he knows something & screw up the works! I've gone in the attic trying to follow things... about 12 J-boxes scattered in an area about 25'X 20' flexes, romexes, shooting everywhere! (at least there were covers & straps on what could be seen) but piecing this thing into a safe & working installation is'nt going to be fun!

-Randy