[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is the service for what was a drycleaners in a strip mall. I was sent here to do a "make safe" that is kill all the power so the demo contractor could gut the inside.

Also I was to wire in a permanent exhaust fan and some GFCI work outlets.

What I found while doing this was surprising, all the disconnects and panels you see are taps, even better some where taps of taps.

The 3 breaker panels where all 100 amp rated with no overcurrent protection, the feeder (not 400 amp conductors) coming in the 3" RMC was backed up by a 400 amp fused disconnect switch.

In picture 1 you can see that the 3" RMC heads to the right through the block wall into what was the office in there a pull box was installed that someone found was a good place to tap another 100 amp panel.

I ended up shutting down the 400 amp feed so I could safely clear all the unneeded conductors out. After I did so I found that the feeder also shutdown a Bank, Pizza shop and a Photo shop (the photo shop was not impressed, they had pictures in the auto developing machine, opps)

It would take 64 throws of the hand to shut down the drycleaners not counting the other 20 circuit panel stuffed with "twins" in the office.

In picture 4 you can see a 1/2" EMT leaving the top left of the panel with tapped 12 awgs feeding a disconnect in picture 1, but I do not remember what the two whites are doing in the 1/2" EMT with the taps (Picture 4)

All this was bad enough but I ended up finding a branch circuit 12 awg TW tapped under the smaller Bulldog Pushmatic panel lugs.

I did not trace out were it went but as far as I know there was a 120 volt 400 amp duplex outlet, no more troublesome tripping.

When I left the only thing still live was the small plug in panel to power the fan and lights I had to provide, I tried to get them to pay for a 200 amp fused disconnect but that was no sale.

Under a piece of glass on the desk in the office where the business cards of the people they deal with, an glass contractor, drycleaners supply salesmen, and an electrician, I wanted to call and ask him some questions but realized that would get ugly fast.

Bob (iwire)