You guys think this is bad? I visited a downtown 3 story commercial building one time, along the years the oil burner / ignitor had to be replaced a few times, the latest time the local "maintenance" man did it, who had been "responsible" for the boiler for 10+ years. I looked at the wiring coming from the j-box to the oil burner assembly, and there was lamp cord powering the oil burner/ignitor (120v, actually somewhere around 127volts in this building 3ph). the insulation had melted pretty well completely off one of them with pieces still there in chared form.. I was called into the building after an extensive oil leak when the oiler filler hit turned the truck pump to "full" instead of "off" when approaching the top of the oil tanks. Somehow the building didn't blow up, but there was a light near the back of the room, that was wired to the high leg of the 3ph circuit, i thought the room was just really dark and couldn't figure out why the light was so freaking bright, until i plugged my electric drill in under it and it spun noticably too fast, and i said.. no way!

btw, the boiler itself had no overcurrent protection, well 400amps overcurrent, was spliced directly into the wiring tray at the main service.

Wish i had taken pics of this building, there was violations on violations around there.