I've been saving mine for a couple of years now, the local scrap yard offers a much better price for stripped copper, but will accept copper with insulation.

My old mentor, Mr. Hixson, has taken large boxes weighing a couple hundred pounds to the Chrokee Nation in NC and sold the lot for enough money to pay for his vacation, several hundred dollars for un-stripped wire. Apparently, the Cherokee Nation can burn the insulation off without retaliation fom the EPA, and they make jewelry and trinkets from the smelded copper.

<threadjack>
My ignorance is both apparent, and ironic given that I'm a certified member of the Cherokee Nation, myself. Complete with a Bureau of Indian affairs card and Cherokee Nation card. The true irony is that I can twist some copper into some terrible unartistic shape and legally call it "Authentic American Indian Art" whereas my neighbor who is a flint knapper and makes beautiful things cannot. He has more Indian blood than I have, but no card. He can't get one because his lineage cannot be traced back to those that signed some treaty. Apparently, my remote ancestors did. Stupid Laws.

[Linked Image]
</threadjack>

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-07-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI