abandoned wiring should be removed. This is a good example of why. This 600A 480/277 section was smacked hard by a forklift about 30 years ago

I have tried to keep my mouth shut here but I could not.

I think you guys have big marbles to suggest that this 600 amp feeder should be removed. You are awfully generous with other peoples money.

Of course this should not have been left both live and open. But closed or dead it would be as safe (forgetting about fork lift damage) as any of the electrical gear in use.

Why should the building owner have to pay to remove this 600 amp feeder when down the road they may need it again?

If the panel was damaged and the conductors are in good shape, just replace the panel and it is now ready to go. The difference in dollars would be substantial.

Let us imagine a manufacturing facility that rents its building, the company goes belly up and all the machinery is sold.

How far back would you say the electrical systems should be ripped out to.

The first disconnect? (my choice) the first panel?

As you are doing this if you end up with a panel with no loads on it do we now rip that out back to the service?

The removal of unused electrical systems is absolutely not an issue for the NEC. It is an issue for those that are paying the bills.

There are rules now in place that required this live panel to have a cover.

Let us use the existing rules to keep things safe, lets not start forcing the removal of currently idle electric equipment.

I would have done what electure did, on thier clock after talking to them removed the feed from the breaker.

Job done, now safe. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-06-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts