Originally posted by Tom:
Bill,

It amazes me to no end that lending institutions, insurance companies, etc don't insist on inspections. I brought this issue up with my insurance agent once & he said that if they insisted on inspections, they probably wouldn't be able to write any policies.

If this place sold with a VA backed loan, there is a chance this would have been caught. Seeing work like this makes me appreciate cities that require a code inspection of an entire house at the time of sale.It can be a hardship, but stuff like this has to go.

Your are exactly right, in my state a prospective buyer can pay to have the house inspected, however the down side is I have yet to see any house inspector able to tell the difference between a 60 amp and a 100 amp meter base when the owner selling the house puts a 100 amp panel on a 60 amp service and tells the realtor the electric has been recently upgraded. Recently I was called out to one of thses deals where the owner had a 200 amp panel installed on a 100 amp service and then built a sink and counter underneath the panel. When I pointed this out to him he said, "well I didnt know that how is the homeowner suppose to know this", but the bottom line is these house inspectors are getting better.