As many of you may know, the last few posts that I have made have been on the subject of safety. As the events of the last few weeks have unfolded, I have made a few observations.
About 3 months ago my company hired (2) new health and safety officers. I have to say that I agree with the company's choice to do so. I would like to throw a few things out there for all to consider.
<OL TYPE=A>

[*] The safety officers have been trained in all areas of safety, and have years of experience to support their training.

[*] Field personel are concerned about safety, but more concerned about productivity.

[*] The scope of knowledge of everyone in the company is far less than that of the safety officers when it concerns safety (as it should be).

[*] Heck, we're all human.
</OL>
As a result of "A", I've noticed that after some 6 or 7 hours of training classes, there is an unrealistic view of how much our brains can "take in" in such a short period of time. The result of this "brain overload" has been that many of the guys in the field seem to have not learned anything. The safety habits haven't been formed, and I'm afraid that they won't be because there has been to much information fed to our guys at once.
The problem with "B" is that people are busy with their jobs, and any additional information, maintenance, procedures, paperwork, etc is viewed as "more work" that is not going to "pay off" in the end. They see what they used to do in 8 hours is now going to take 8.5 hours. It is easy to see in these days when productivity is everything, that there is a conflict.
The conflict involved with "C" is best described as follows: The safety team is viewed as a group of people, not trying to help bring everyone's knowledge and habits up to par, but as a group of people trying to tell everyone that they will conform. People don't respond well to that type of subjection.
Lastly, if a person over eats, smokes, drinks to much, etc., and someone tells them, "Hey, that's not good for you." There is a natural reaction inside that says, "Nobody is going to tell me what to do." I think safety is the same way. We tend to reject others telling us "what to do". Even if it is for our own good.
Any comments would be obliged.

Reloading,
Doc

[This message has been edited by The Watt Doctor (edited 07-04-2002).]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX