E57, I agree completely.

Though, in my experience, it is the result of folks being too focused on their trade alone, and not having the slightese clue as to the requirements of other trades / codes.

As for this pic- expect more of this to come! The NFPA is aggressively atempting to require sprinklers in all residences, and has incorporated this requirement in their "model code."
Sprinkler folks ar accustomed to trying to place the heads in the center of the room. Since most sprinkler heads are intended to cover a 12' x 12' space, most rooms can be covered by just one head. Now, if the rooms are larger than that, then two heads will be used- with the result that neither head will be anywhere near the middle.

I am (again!) involved in bringing a "McMansion" up to the customers' expectations. For all the expense of these palaces (homes are priced in the area of 1.5 million!), almost every roon has a switched receptacle as the "lighting outlet."

While this may comply with the NEC, the occupants typically will want not just a light, but a fan, in the middle of every room.

Folks are going to place a lot more value on how things 'look' than any invisible technical advantage.