Of all the things to share terminology -- Some older locals around here talk about the "honey cart" that used to go round to empty the, um, outside facilities shall we say, before the days of indoor plumbing being widespread.

Dallas,
Interesting question. Some of your terminology and slang terms still make me stop and have to think a while, but at least I'd have a head start on most people in England who have little idea of U.S. power beyond "120V 60Hz and those funny flat-pin plugs."

In more general terms, each time I've been over there, after about a week I've felt more at home in the States than in the U.K.

How would you manage over here? Hmm, probably looks like a steep learning curve at first due to the different circuit arrangements, different fittings, different color codes, different cable sizing and type designations, etc. Then there's the IEE Wiring Regs. to get to grips with.

You might be surprised at just how many everyday things are harder to adjust to than the technical problems, like remembering that 1/7/02 means July 1, not January 7.

Or finding that driving on the left is real easy to adapt to, but remembering to look right first when crossing the street takes a lot longer.

I reckon we could start another thread on all the things that could spring from this question.