I've also seen the light-on-the-tree-trunk. In the town of Cherry Grove on Fire Island (a barrier island off the southern coast of Long Island in New York state) this past summer, I was sitting on the porch of a pizzeria enjoying a (way overpriced) slice.

I look up towards the corner where there was a small fountain and a tree. Going up the trunk was romex that then entered a couple of the water-resistant type round boxes that were also screwed or nailed onto the tree. A couple of flood light bulbs were screwed into the lampholders.

An orange heavy duty extension cord snaked up into the tree pit, dissapeared behind some rocks and dirt and I assume led to the fountain's pump motor.

P.S.: Keep in mind that Fire Island is an area right in the middle of salt-water -- a sand bar, essentially. The salt and humidity in the air is not kind to steel or iron. You should have seen the condition of an armored male plug that was being used on a portable storage-battery recharger unit - it was RED with rust!!.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-12-2003).]