Boy... you're tough to convince SolarPowered. [Linked Image]

That's the point where you're losing me. It seems to me that misuse and abuse didn't have anything to do with the problem. Rather, it appears that the problem is due to a penny-pinching design of the outlet strip that results in it not being safe for its intended application; that is, supplying power to six plugs with a total load of less than 15 amps, on any combination of the six receptacles. Am I missing something here?

Every time I have found a strip in this condition, it could be directly attributed to user abuse. These strips are intended to be used with low wattage/amperage equipment. For example, I have never come across a damaged unit that was used for computer or other similar office equipment.

But, when you plug (and this is a real life example) a microwave, refrigerator, toaster oven/or toaster, coffee pot, and a portable heater, all into the same strip... bad things happen pretty quick. [Linked Image]

Heck in the scenario I laid out, the portable heater alone (usually rated at 1500 or 1800W) either takes the strip to its intended load or way beyond (80% of 15 amps = roughly 1440W). See, NEC 210.21(B)(2)

So, even though the strip may be designed for 15 amps, when you load it with 30 amps... and you have the bimetal heating effect occuring... fire happens, circuit breaker doesn't trip... people choke on smoke. [Linked Image]

Convinced??? Anyone else want to help me argue this point?