Hi,

Just wondering what books you would recomend for the IP exam?
Is there a building code that you have to be familar with as well for the test?

I have been doing alot of code questions (exambank/learning pit/bc electrician and some test books)
I have found a few on the learning pit seem to be from the 98 code...does anyone know which code they were based on?
EG http://www.thelearningpit.com/quiz/doQuiz.asp?TB=TB3&ID=AEN_Code_Asg6
4: Where a portable lampholder is used in a wood working shop does it have to have a guard on it? a yes b no Question 4 Correct Answer = (a) = 30-616 (3) or 30-320 yes

Couldn't find 30-616 (3) in either 98 or 02 , 30-320 refers to luminaire height in the 98 code and luminaires in damp locations in the 02 code

5: What is the minimum distance from a recessed pot light in a house to a wood joist? a 10mm b 10.5mm c 12mm d 12.5mm e none of the above
Question 5 Correct Answer = (d) = 30-308 (1) 12.5 mm
98 code

6: Can all pot lights be blanketed with thermal insulation? a yes b no
Question 6 Correct Answer = (b) = 30-308 (4) no unless approved
98 code

I have a few problems with exambank as well, I bought one test online and answers didn't seem to line up with the rules
There was even one question what is the average voltage on a 208V supply and the answer sheet was 0V :S (they only have the letter that refers to the question)
Some of this stuff is getting me a bit worried!
The hardest thing for me is I can't access anyone easily as I am in Australia!

One of the big worries is questions that ask something like
Can Aluminum boxes be used in concrete yes or no
when is states they may not be used in concrete unless it has no chlorine additives or the box is treated with an anti corrosive base
Is this a yes/unless or a no/but answer..there are quite a few of these type rules...how are they correctly interpreted?

When a new code book comes out if any changes happen between the new edition , how does this get implimented or added to the code
Is there a chance there may be questions on the IP that may have these new additions (if there are some?)

Personally when you went for your IP test , how easy was it for you?
If I remember correctly it is 3hrs long , did you complete the questions comfortably in this time?
Did you have to check the code for much or where alot of rules fresh in your mind from familarity?

Also how often do you need to renew your licence in Canada?
Do you have to redo any exams apon renewal?

Sorry for so many questions but I really want to pass this test with flying colours!

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Sparkee (edited 02-08-2006).]