Hi folks, I need a bit of clarification on the code for a service relocation.

It's been a number of years since I have worked in the electrical trade, (I'm an Electronics Engineering Technician now) but I've always worked to code when I worked in the trade. The majority of my work was commercial/maintenance electrical, so I didn't do too much residential and am not fully familiar with some of the current residential code nuances.

My step-father needs a residential elevator/lift installed, and the only viable location happens to drop it straight in front of their service panel. (Isn’t that always the way?) I advised him that this wouldn't be safe since the elevator would be an obstruction in front of the panel (a clearance of only 4", not to mention a safety hazard if emergency access was needed) and so I have offered to move the panel for him. (plus it's an old fuse box, so an upgrade would be timely) I won't be increasing the service size though, 100A is fine for his needs.

If I recall correctly, code allows a maximum 5' of interior movement on the mains from the point they enter the house. This shouldn't be a problem, and 4' should put me just outside the range of the elevator so that I have my 3' of code required ‘working clearance’ in front of the new panel.

I'm assuming that I can just secure a solid piece of pressure treated 3/4" plywood onto the concrete blocks (it's in a basement) and then mount the new panel directly on top without need to use an additional moisture barrier on the wall. (the block is in good condition and there are no leaks)

My code-related questions are:

-When running the new pipe to the new panel, am I allowed to replace existing pipe BELOW the meter socket (it's an overhead service) without being required to replace the entire mast?

-When making the pipe run from outside to inside the house, am I allowed to use a pull elbow on the inside wall considering the elbow and pipe run will be enclosed inside a wall when complete? (the panel will be recessed in a wall that will be studded out from the concrete blocks - I can/will use nail shields on studs where required) I am aware that it will all need to be open for inspection, but does a pull elbow need to remain accessible inside?

-There is a gas main on the outside wall, which prevents me from running the pipe on the outside wall and then in. (If I recall correctly, code requires a minimum 1 meter clearance from any outside electrical installation to the gas vent on the meter, right?) In any case, is there a problem with a gas line running inside in an area about 2' above where the new panel will be placed? (it will be in a ceiling joist, and ceiling will be enclosed)

-I had planned to run a new ground wire, and the current ground is to the cold water pipe where it enters from outside in an adjoining room. If I run a new ground will I be forced to put in a secondary form of ground protection to comply with changes to the code? (if I recall correctly, new installations are no longer allowed to use cold water pipes for primary grounding because of the growing use of plastic pipes right?)

-This service has an old style 'flat rate hot water' feed in the existing disconnect (which is sealed of course), and so I'm also curious if I can pull it back to the meter base, cap it, and leave it there? (The feed obviously won’t be long enough to relocate) Or will I have to pull it back up the mast and cap it there?

This job will be a tight fit, but I always work to code, and so I’ll need/want this to pass ESA inspection when all is said and done.

Off topic, it's unfortunate that the Ontario code isn't available online. (my old copy is over a decade out of date) I would think that while it is necessary to charge for paper copies, there really shouldn’t be a charge for electronic copies. I’d love to see the code in more hands since I often see/hear about people doing sub-standard work, and with freely available code there would be no excuse for this. Anyways, don’t mind my babbling. :-)

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Savant