ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
electricalinspection1951.jpg
W
wa2ise Offline OP
Inspection certificate from 1951 in NJ

While going thru my mom's various papers (house deed and such) found the electrical inspection done on her house back in 1951. An inspector from Philly inspects a house in a suburb of New York City. A nostalgia item perhaps.
7 Comments
E
Wow, I remember "Middle Department" as one of the inspection agencies that most towns in Bergen County used back in the 70's when I lived/worked there. There was an inspector who was only referred to as "Mr. Marshall" by my boss who was supposedly a ball buster. I never had any trouble when he inspected my jobs, but I never actually met him.

I must say that this is good nostalgia for sure. Thanks for sharing.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
cool!

and amusing to think that around here, it's the very same 22 receptacles.....

~S~

Mr Marshall is Rick Marshall, who is still active, and he does DCA seminars occasionally, with Vic Timpanaro of Old Bridge Twp. I'll reserve comment on the 'buster'.

The address on the Certificate of Approval (CA) was the home office for Middle Dept, not necessarily where the inspector was from.

The other 3rd party agencies where BIU (Building Inspection Underwriters) and Garden State Inspection Services. I'm not 100% sure if all three of the 'oldies' are still around. They are recently joined by EIC (Elevator Inspection Corp) which expanded from just elevators, to Bldg, Plumb, Fire & Electric.

John
G
Does Vic have a brother named Mike in Ocklawaha FL? (Plans examiner and Inspector.)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Honestly, I have no clue if he has a brother. I'll try to reach out for him in the next day or two & ask. Old Bridge is two towns to the south easterly direction.

John
G
Mike T is a regular on the IAEI Fl BB.

Greg Fretwell
H
How about a gentleman named Mr. Reddinger (sp?) I used to do a lot of work with my old boss down around, Hoboken, Secacus, West New York, Union City, etc. and Middle Dept. use to be big down there. I did my work there from 1976 till 1984 give or take. Then I went into my own business.

Link Copied to Clipboard