ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192293 02/05/10 08:06 PM
bklight.jpg
W
wa2ise Offline OP
More sloppyness at BK

This picture didn't come out that clearly, but look carefully and you'll see wire nut connections just above the plastic light defusser plastic sheet in this ceiling light fixture. This at the same BK I posted that picture with the bad ceiling outlet with the extension cord running to up above the suspended ceiling... We probably don't want to know what else is above the ceiling tiles...
5 Comments
This may be the 'handi work' of a ballast changer??

John
A
Reminds me of when all the PCB filled phase correcting capacitors were changed in the lights at my place of work.
The new polyester film capacitors had different mounting arrangements of course. Naturally, the contractors weren't going to waste time installing new mounting clips with several hundred light fittings to be done. So the capacitors were simply left resting on the cover plate to dangle down by their leads when the cover is taken off.

Yeah Aussie,
I remember in the early stages of my electrical apprenticeship working on troffers with the old PCB ballasts.
I seem to remember how nice it was that the manufacturers (Thorn, I think) rivetted the ballasts to the top of the troffer body.
One morning I was working in the editorial office of our local newspaper, removing these ballasts and replacing them with wire-wound ballasts.

The first person into the office that morning turned on all the lights, so that when I turned up, the ballasts were too hot to touch, let alone hold while you drilled the rivets out.
One other thing I remember too, was that the wiring they used inside the troffers had a habit of having it's insulation go brittle, due to the heat inside the fitting.
I only had to be taught that lesson once, as the place had to have as many lights on as possible as the staff were proof-reading and checking colours and what-not as I worked.

For a split second, they had all the light they needed, when I took the cover off one of the troffers.
The insulation fell off all of the wires and shorted to the troffer case. mad

Mike:
You're bring back memories....
Opening up a fixture & finding the 'real old' ballast still inside, with a 'newer' one stuffed in. was kind of commonplace when someone didn't want to dispose (legally) of the PCB ballast. It was a real pain in the butt on the 8', 2 lamp 96 channels too.

John
F
I have see that issue couple time when doing the troubleshooting and someone stuff very old school ballast and never bother take it out and few luminaire I did work on it did show a bow line so I knew i will be running hevey luminiare ballast { try to find old 25 HZ ballast then you will get the idea }

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard